The Behavioral Research Program (BRP) is within the National Cancer Institute’s Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences. BRP initiates, supports, and evaluates a comprehensive program of research ranging from basic behavioral research to the development, testing, and dissemination of interventions in areas such as tobacco use, screening, dietary behavior, and sun protection.
Our goal is to increase the breadth, depth, and quality of behavioral research in cancer prevention and control.
BRP was originally established in 1997 and expanded in 1998 into five Branches (Applied Cancer Screening, Basic and Biobehavioral, Health Communication and Informatics, Health Promotion, and Tobacco Control).
In 2009, Dr. William Klein was appointed the new Associate Director of BRP and commissioned a full environmental scan and portfolio analysis of the Program to address research gaps and identify scientific priorities. With help from expert advisors and staff input, a strategic plan was established in 2010, which defines the Program’s revitalized mission with six Branches that support and conduct behavioral research across the cancer continuum.
- Basic Biobehavioral and Psychological Sciences Branch (BBPSB)
- Health Behaviors Research Branch (HBRB)
- Health Communication and Informatics Research Branch (HCIRB)
- Science of Research & Technology Branch (SRTB)
- Tobacco Control Research Branch (TCRB)
BRP Reorganization of 2010
- The former Basic and Biobehavioral Research Branch (BBRB) was changed to the
Basic Biobehavioral and Psychological Sciences Branch (BBPSB)
- The former Health Promotion Research Branch (HPRB) was changed to the
Health Behaviors Research Branch (HBRB)
- The Health Communication and Informatics Research Branch (HCIRB) did not undergo a name change
- The former Applied Cancer Screening Research Branch (ACSRB) was changed to the
Process of Care Research Branch (PCRB) – in 2014, this Branch was reassigned
- Science of Research & Technology Branch (SRTB) was created
- The Tobacco Control Research Branch (TCRB) did not undergo a name change
BRP Fact Sheet (PDF), March 2014