Research Topics: Tobacco Products
The National Cancer Institute has added questions to national surveys on health trends assessing Potential Reduced-Exposure Tobacco Products (PREPs). For more information on these surveys, please click on the links below:
- Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS)
- Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey (TUS-CPS)
The following papers have been published by Tobacco Control Research Branch staff utilizing surveys that examine Potential Reduced Exposure Products (PREPs) use.
- Bogen K, Biener L, Garrett CA, Allen J, Cummings KM, Hartman A, Marcus S, McNeill A, O'Connor RJ, Parascandola M, Pederson L. Surveillance indicators for potential reduced exposure products (PREPs): developing survey items to measure awareness. Harm Reduct J. 2009 Oct 19;6:27.
- O'Connor RJ, Cummings KM, Rees VW, Connolly GN, Norton KJ, Sweanor D, Parascandola M, Hatsukami DK, Shields PG. Surveillance methods for identifying, characterizing, and monitoring tobacco products: potential reduced exposure products as an example. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Dec;18(12):3334-48.
- Parascandola M, Augustson E, O'Connell ME, Marcus S. Consumer awareness and attitudes related to new potential reduced-exposure tobacco product brands. Nicotine Tob Res. 2009 Jul;11(7):886-95. Epub 2009 Jun 18.
- Parascandola M, Augustson E, Rose A. Characteristics of current and recent former smokers associated with the use of new potential reduced-exposure tobacco products. Nicotine Tob Res. 2009 Dec;11(12):1431-8. Epub 2009 Nov 13.
- Parascandola, M., Hurd, A.L., Augustson, E. Consumer Awareness and Attitudes Related to New Potential Reduced-Exposure Tobacco Products. Am J Health Behav. 2008; 32(4): 431-437.