This page provides numerous cancer-related resources for advocates. For information regarding cancer types, treatment, clinical trials and links to other National Cancer Institute resources, please go to the NCI home page.
- Making a Difference in Cancer
This booklet is designed for survivors, family members, and their friends. It provides an overview of the potential benefits of involvement in activities that “give back” to the community, as well as the ways in which one can become involved in those activities.
- National Cancer Institute/CARRA Program
This Web site provides information about opportunities for consumer advocates to participate in research and other NCI sponsored activities.
- National Cancer Institute/Director's Consumer Liaison Group (DCLG)
The DCLG is an advisory group that makes recommendations to the Director of NCI, from the perspective and viewpoint of cancer consumer advocates on a wide variety of issues, programs and research priorities. This group serves as a channel for consumer advocates to voice their views and concerns.
Key survivorship-related reports from the past 10 years that have helped shape survivorship research and practice.
- Cancer Survivors in the United States: Prevalence across the Survivorship Trajectory and Implications for Care , Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention (2013)
- Receipt of Psychosocial Care among Cancer Survivors in the United States , Journal of Clinical Oncology (2013)
- Dr. Julia Rowland Discusses the Developing Field of Cancer Survivorship (2012)
- Patient-Centered Communication in Cancer Care: Promoting Healing and Reducing Suffering Monograph (2007)
- New Malignancies Among Cancer Survivors (2006)
- Biennial Cancer Survivorship Conference - Supplements
- Cancer Supplement - Cancer Survivorship Research: Mapping the New Challenges (2009)
- Cancer Supplement - Partnering to Embrace the Future of Cancer Survivorship Research and Care (2008)
- Cancer Supplement - Resilience of Cancer Survivors Across the Lifespan (2005)
- Institute of Medicine Reports
- Delivering High-Quality Cancer Care: Charting a New Course for a System in Crisis (2013)
- Cancer Care for the Whole Patient: Meeting Psychosocial Health Needs - Institute of Medicine Report (2007)
- Implementing Cancer Survivorship Care Planning (2006)
- From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor: Lost in Transition - Institute of Medicine Report (2005)
- Childhood Cancer Survivorship: Improving Care and Quality of Life - Joint Report From the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council of the National Academies (2003)
- The President's Cancer Panel Annual Reports
- Facing Forward Series
Publications designed to educate cancer survivors, family members, and health care providers about the challenges associated with life after cancer treatment.
- NCI Cancer Bulletin
An online newsletter published by the National Cancer Institute from January 2004 through January 2013 that provided news about cancer research.
- ASCO Clinical Practice Follow-Up Guidelines
The American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO’s) practice recommendations for specific areas of cancer.
- NCCN Guidelines for Survivorship
The National Comprehensive Cancer Network’s (NCCN’s) survivorship guidelines, which focus on eight common impacts of cancer diagnosis and treatment, and include a sample assessment tool. NCCN is an alliance of 23 cancer centers around the country.
A survivorship research meeting, which takes place every two years, that brings together researchers, clinicians, cancer survivors, advocates, policy-makers, and public health experts to share and learn about the most up-to-date cancer survivorship research.
- 2012 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference: Translating Science to Care
- 2010 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference: Recovery and Beyond
- 2008 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference - Cancer Survivorship Research: Mapping the New Challenges
- 2006 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference - Cancer Survivorship: Embracing the Future
- 2004 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference - Cancer Survivorship: Pathways to Health After Treatment Conference