For Health Care Professionals
This page provides numerous cancer-related resources for health care professionals. For information regarding cancer types, treatment, clinical trials and links to other National Cancer Institute resources, please go to the NCI home page.
- American Cancer Society's Long-Term Guidelines for Prostate Cancer Survivors
Newly developed guidelines that provide detailed recommendations about nutrition and physical activity, cancer testing, management of side effects, and coordination of care.
- ASCO Clinical Practice Follow-Up Guidelines
The American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO’s) practice recommendations for specific areas of cancer.
- ASCO Clinical Practice Guidelines on the Prevention and Management of Symptoms
The American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO’s) new evidence-based clinical practice guidelines on the prevention and management of symptoms that affect cancer survivors: neuropathy, fatigue and depression, and anxiety. These are the first three guidelines in a planned series of guidelines on survivorship care.
- MD Anderson Comprehensive Cancer Center
Information about follow-up procedures used to monitor cancer survivors is provided. Cancer Center guidelines are discussed for 15 different disease sites.
- NCCN Guidelines for Survivorship
The National Comprehensive Cancer Network’s (NCCN’s) survivorship guidelines, which focus on eight common impacts of cancer diagnosis and treatment, and include a sample assessment tool. NCCN is an alliance of 23 cancer centers around the country.
Obesity and Cancer: A Guide for Oncology Providers
A guide for oncology providers to use in educating their patients about the negative effects of obesity on cancer risk and cancer-related mortality, and the need to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. A companion booklet is available for patients and families.
- ASCO Treatment Summary and Survivorship Care Plan (PDF)
A revised survivorship care plan template, including treatment summary and follow-up care plan, to enhance communication and coordination of care for the survivor.
Key survivorship-related reports from the past 10 years that have helped shape survivorship research and practice.
- PDQ Cancer Information Summaries: Supportive Care
Provide descriptions of the cause and treatment of common complications of cancer and its treatment, such as pain and nausea/vomiting.
- Coping with Cancer: Supportive and Pallative Care
Fact sheet that provides answers to many commonly asked questions about supportive and palliative care.
- Research-Tested Intervention Programs
A searchable database of cancer control interventions and program materials to provide easy and immediate access to research-tested materials.
- NCI Cancer Bulletin
An online newsletter published by the National Cancer Institute from January 2004 through January 2013 that provided the latest news about cancer research.
This free series, which took place annually from 2003 until 2012, offered cancer survivors, their families, friends, and health care professionals practical information to help them cope with concerns and issues that arise after treatment ends. The series was a collaboration among the National Cancer Institute, LIVESTRONG, CancerCare, the American Cancer Society, the Intercultural Cancer Council, Living Beyond Breast Cancer, and the National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship.
- 2012 Cancer Survivorship Telephone Workshop Series
Part I: Using Mind/Body Techniques to Cope with the Stress of Survivorship
Part II: Recapturing Joy and Finding Meaning
Part III: Changing Roles and Responsibilities for Caregivers
Part IV: Managing Post-Treatment Neuropathy
- 2011 Cancer Survivorship Telephone Workshop Series
Part I: Chemobrain: The Impact of Cancer Treatments On Memory, Thinking, and Attention
Part II: Weight Changes After Cancer Treatments: Why Is It Happening and What Can I Do About It?
Part III: Stress Management for Caregivers: Taking Care of Yourself Physically and Emotionally
Part IV: Fear of Recurrence and Late Effects: Living With Uncertainty
- 2010 Cancer Survivorship Telephone Workshop Series
Part I: Trouble Sleeping: Sleep Better to Feel Better – Tips You Can Use
Part II: Communicating With Your Health Care Team After Treatment: Making the Most of Your Visit
Part III: Survivorship and Workplace Transitions
Part IV Survivors Too: Communicating With and Among Family, Friends and Loved Ones
- 2009 Cancer Survivorship Telephone Workshop Series
Part I: Managing the Stress of Survivorship
Part II: The Importance of Nutrition and Physical Activity
Part III: Survivors Too: Family, Friends and Loved Ones: Managing the Fatigue of Caregiving
- 2008 Cancer Survivorship Telephone Workshop Series
Part I: The Importance of Communicating with Your Doctor about Follow-Up Care
Part II: Rediscovering Intimacy in Your Relationships following Treatment
Part III: Survivors Too: Family, Friends and Loved Ones
- 2007 Cancer Survivorship Telephone Workshop Series
Part I: Neuropathy and Joint Aches: New Post-Treatment Challenges
Part II: My Treatment is Over: Why Do I Feel So Alone and Sad?
Part III: Finding Hope and Meaning After Treatment
- 2006 Cancer Survivorship Telephone Workshop Series
Part I: Stress Management Tips for Survivor
Part II: Is It My Cancer of Am I Getting Older?
Part III: Managing Your Costs of Recovery
- 2005 Cancer Survivorship Telephone Workshop Series
Part I: Care & Wellbeing After Treatment
Part II: Managing Longterm Lingering Side Effects
Part III: Health Promoting Behaviors: Things You Can Do
This survivorship research meeting, which takes place every two years, brings together researchers, clinicians, cancer survivors, advocates, policy-makers, and public health experts to share and learn about the most up-to-date cancer survivorship research.
- 2014 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference: Advancing Survivorship Care through Multilevel Collaborations
- 2012 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference: Translating Science to Care
- 2010 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference: Recovery and Beyond
- 2008 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference - Cancer Survivorship Research: Mapping the New Challenges
- 2006 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference - Cancer Survivorship: Embracing the Future
- 2004 Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference - Cancer Survivorship: Pathways to Health After Treatment Conference