Margaret M. Farrell, MPH, RD
Margaret M. Farrell, M.P.H, R.D., is a public health adviser for the Implementation Science Team in the Office of the Director in the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences (DCCPS) at the National Cancer Institute (NCI).
Ms. Farrell leads several efforts to build and advance the application of Implementation Science (IS) within cancer control practice. Her current work centers around Implementation Science at a Glance, a primer for practitioners; a funding opportunity linking connected health technology with improved health outcomes for cancer survivors; and enhancing partnerships and networks to integrate research, practice, and policy.
From 2009 to 2018, Ms. Farrell directed NCI's Research to Reality online community of practice for cancer control researchers and practitioners. Before joining the Implementation Science Team, she worked with Cancer Information Service to disseminate key NCI research findings and programs to underserved communities through key partnerships. Ms. Farrell was the lead editor of Theory at a Glance (2nd ed.), a monograph that outlines key behavior change and health promotion theories and presents case studies illustrating how to integrate these theories into public health programs.
Ms. Farrell is a registered dietitian and holds a master’s in public health from the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.
- Farrell, M.M., Gibson, K.M., Marler, A. et al. How the Comprehensive Cancer Control National Partnership shapes the public health workforce. Cancer Causes Control (2018) 29: 1205. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-018-1110-4 .
- Hohman, K., Given, L., Farrell, M. et al. The Nine Habits of successful comprehensive cancer control coalitions. Cancer Causes Control (2018) 29: 1195. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-018-1116-y .
- Guest Editor. Cancer Causes and Control Volume 29, Issue 12, December 2018. Special Issue: Comprehensive Cancer Control in the US: Twenty Years of Progress. ISSN: 0957-5243 (Print) 1573-7225 (Online)
- Wolfenden L, Regan T, Williams CM, Wiggers J, Kingsland M, Milat A, Rissel C, Bauman A, Booth D, Farrell MM, et al. Strategies to improve the implementation of workplace-based policies or practices targeting tobacco, alcohol, diet, physical activity and obesity. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD012439.
- Neta G, Sanchez MA, Chambers DA, Phillips SM, Farrell MM, et al. Implementation science in cancer prevention and control: a decade of grant funding by the NCI and future directions. Implement Sci. 2015 Jan 8;10:4.
- Farrell MM, La Porta M, Gallagher A, Vinson C, Bernal SB. Research to reality: moving evidence into practice through an online community of practice. Prev Chronic Dis. 2014 May 8;11:E78.
- Public health training
- Implementation strategies
- Plain language
- Health equity and social justice
- Nutrition and cancer control