New NCI Report: The Economics of Tobacco and Tobacco Control
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) of the National Institutes of Health, an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is pleased to announce the release of a report titled, "The Economics of Tobacco and Tobacco Control," which was developed in collaboration with the World Health Organization.
This report provides the first comprehensive review of the economics of global tobacco control efforts since the 2003 adoption and 2005 entry into force of the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and presents extensive new evidence from low- and middle-income countries. The report discusses the current evidence base surrounding the economics of tobacco control and concludes that evidence-based tobacco control interventions make sense from an economic as well as a public health standpoint.
Download the Report and Executive Summary:
Share the Report with Your Stakeholders and Partners: Use these sharing tools to inform tobacco control researchers, advocates, and policymakers about the report's key findings. Additional materials are available on the website: https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/brp/tcrb/monographs/21/index.htm
- Tobacco control is an investment in economies and health. https://goo.gl/AA3Xan #NoTobacco
- Tobacco use burdens economies with over 1 trillion USD in health care costs & lost productivity annually. https://goo.gl/0iFzLQ #NoTobacco
- Around 80% of the world's smokers live in developing countries. https://goo.gl/BfXZkM #NoTobacco
- New report confirms policies & programs that help reduce demand for tobacco products are cost-effective. https://goo.gl/3iqLdh #NoTobacco
- Tobacco control makes sense from both a #publichealth & economic perspective. Read the new report: https://goo.gl/IuEG5h #NoTobacco
- Global tobacco use burdens economies with more than 1 trillion USD in health care costs and lost productivity annually. Although there are cost-effective interventions to reduce the tobacco epidemic, these are not yet utilized to their full potential. https://goo.gl/Dzac4Y
- In 2013-2014, tobacco excise taxes generated nearly 269 billion USD in government revenues globally, yet governments spent under 1 billion USD on tobacco control. https://goo.gl/oeXYFZ