Tobacco Control Research Branch (TCRB)
The Tobacco Control Research Branch (TCRB) leads and collaborates on research and disseminates evidence-based findings to prevent, treat, and control tobacco use in order to create a world free of tobacco use and related cancer and suffering. TCRB is within the National Cancer Institute’s (NCI) Behavioral Research Program (BRP), in the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences (DCCPS).
- Advertising and marketing of tobacco products
- Epidemiology and surveillance of tobacco knowledge, attitudes, and behavior
- Etiology, predictors, correlates, and determinants of tobacco use, nicotine dependence, and cessation
- Global tobacco control, especially in low- and middle-income countries
- Media and policy to reduce tobacco use
- Other tobacco products, e.g., smokeless tobacco, cigars, roll-your-own, hookah, bidis, etc.
- Potential Reduced-Exposure Tobacco Products (PREPs)
- Secondhand smoke
- Tobacco cessation interventions at the individual, system, and population levels
- Tobacco control interventions for underserved and at-risk populations
- Tobacco industry documents
- Tobacco prevention interventions at the individual, system, and population levels
- Tobacco product analysis, e.g., design and composition, constituents and additives, processing, manufacturing
- Tobacco use and cessation in cancer screening, diagnosis, treatment, and survivorship
- Tobacco-related disparities
News and Highlights
Initiatives and Measures
TCRB Grant Portfolio and Funding Opportunities
When I was working as the Senior Scientific Editor of the first Surgeon General's Report on 'Preventing Tobacco Use Among Young People (1994),' the ongoing and pervasive inter-relationships between health behaviors, their epidemiology and health effects; their social, political and economic determinants; and the predominance of powerful companies that directly support unhealthy behaviors, became evident and have guided the projects and science that I've done since that time.”Cheryl L. Perry, Ph.D. Other TCRB Featured Grantees
Read peer-reviewed manuscripts, funding analyses, and reports on behavioral research issues in cancer prevention and control.
Career and Training Announcements
View our scientific, administrative, and fellowship opportunities.
Data and Tools
Get information about data collection and analysis tools, cancer control publications, and other resources to support behavioral researchers.
Meet Our Staff
Our team of accomplished scientists and research associates, fellows, and administrators is dedicated to advancing behavioral science research in cancer prevention and control.TCRB Staff