What Are the Current and Past TUS Survey Findings?
The data presented here provide examples of the type of information researchers can obtain from the Tobacco Use Supplement.
Data from the following periods are available:
- 2010-2011 Survey Data
- 2006-2007 Survey Data
- 2003 Survey Data
- 2001-2002 Survey Data
- 1998-1999 Survey Data
National Longitudinal Mortality Study
The National Longitudinal Mortality Study (NLMS) is sociodemographic data, collected by the US Census Bureau via in-person and telephone interviews as a part of the Current Population Surveys (CPS), and combined with cause of death information from official state records. The NLMS database includes approximately 3.0 million persons, and cause of death information on over 250,000.
- Variables in the NLMS database: race/ethnicity, marital status, education, income, employment status, occupation, industry, veteran status, household size, nativity/immigrant status, smoking (for certain cohorts), health status, and health insurance status.
- NLMS Cohorts: 1979-2002.
- Linked to Medicare claims data for the period 1991-2001.
- Linked to the tobacco use supplements for years 1985, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1999, and 2001.
Updated Information about the most recent years’ linkages and how to apply for usage of these datasets will be available in the near future.
Some results from the NLMS are presented in the article:
Lewis DR, Clegg LX, Johnson NJ. Lung disease mortality in the United States: the National Longitudinal Mortality Study. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2009 Aug;13(8):1008-14. [View Abstract] [View Full Text]
Cigarette Smoking Prevalence and Policies in the 50 States: An Era of Change
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation ImpacTEEN program featured the TUS-CPS trend data (1992-2007) in its tobacco chart book, entitled "Cigarette Smoking Prevalence and Policies in the 50 States: An Era of Change." See TUS-CPS results and data used in the chart book, or the chart book itself (PDF) , which also includes US maps and other figures for several tobacco control variables.
State Tobacco Activities Tracking & Evaluation System
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has an electronic database warehouse called the State Tobacco Activities Tracking and Evaluation (STATE) system which contains up-to-date and historical state-level data on tobacco use prevention and control. Information from the TUS-CPS data is included in this resource.
The following can be obtained from the site:
- Detailed Report - This report is by topic area (e.g. Economic), by measure (e.g. smoking) for a state by year.
- State Comparison Report - This report displays data for selected topic area by measure by year in all available states with Excel export capability.
- Trend Report - This report displays data for selected topic area, by measure, multiple sub-topics (e.g. average cost per pack), by years and states with graphic output option and Excel export capability.
- Tobacco Control Highlights Report - This report displays current state-based information on the prevalence of tobacco use, the health impact and costs associated with tobacco use, and tobacco excise tax drawing from multiple sources within the system.
Health Disparities Calculator
The Health Disparities Calculator (HD*Calc) is statistical software that generates multiple summary measures for evaluating and monitoring health disparities. HD*Calc can be used either as an extension of SEER*Stat, which allows users to import Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) data, or on its own with other population-based health data, such as from the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS), California Health Interview Survey (CHIS), Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey (TUS-CPS), and National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). HD*Calc is useful for anyone interested in health and cancer-related disparities as well as those interested in learning about summary measures of health disparities. HD*Calc is located on the SEER Website.
Items of Interest
- Publicly released data files: 2014-2015
- Publicly released data file: May 2010-May 2011 Special Longitudinal Cohort
- Sept. 17 2013 TUS-CPS Webinar Presentations & Recordings
- SAS Programs for Creating SAS Datasets
- TUS-CPS data on State Cancer Profiles Website
- Funding Opportunities in Tobacco Control Research
- Health Disparities Calculator now available!
- More About Tobacco Control Research at NCI