David Chambers, DPhil.
Dr. David Chambers is Deputy Director for Implementation Science Team in the Office of the Director in the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences (DCCPS) at the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Dr. Chambers manages a team focusing on efforts to build and advance the field of Implementation Science (IS) through funding opportunity announcements, training mechanisms, dissemination platforms, and enhancement of partnerships and networks to integrate research, practice and policy.
From 2008 through the fall of 2014, Dr. Chambers served as Chief of the Services Research and Clinical Epidemiology Branch (SRCEB) of the Division of Services and Intervention Research at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). He arrived at NIMH in 2001, brought to the Institute to run the Dissemination and Implementation Research Program within SRCEB, where he continues to manage a portfolio of grants that study the integration of scientific findings and effective clinical practices in mental health within real-world service settings. From 2006 to the fall of 2014, Dr. Chambers also served as Associate Director for Dissemination and Implementation Research, leading NIH initiatives around the coordination of dissemination and implementation research in health, including a set of research announcements across 15 of the NIH Institutes and Centers, annual scientific conferences, and a summer training institute.
Prior to his arrival at NIH, Dr. Chambers worked as a member of a research team at Oxford University, where he studied national efforts to implement evidence-based practice within healthcare systems. He publishes on strategic research directions in implementation science and serves as a plenary speaker at numerous scientific conferences. He received his A.B. degree (with Honors) in Economics from Brown University in 1997, and an M.Sc. and D.Phil degree in Management Studies (Organisational Behaviour) in 1998 and 2001, respectively, from Oxford University (UK).
- Convergence of Implementation Science, Precision Medicine, and the Learning Health Care System: A New Model for Biomedical Research. Chambers DA, Feero WG, Khoury MJ. JAMA. 2016;315(18):1941-1942. doi:10.1001/jama.2016.3867
- A Learning Behavioral Health Care System: Opportunities to Enhance Research. Stein BD, Adams AS, Chambers DA. Psychiatr Serv. 2016 Sep 1;67(9):1019-22. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.201500180. Epub 2016 May 2.
- The Adaptome: Advancing the Science of Intervention Adaptation. Chambers, DA & Norton, WE. Am J Prev Med. 2016 June 28. S0749-3797(16)30181-7. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2016.05.011.
- Implementation Research: The Fourth Movement of the Unfinished Translation Research Symphony. Sampson UK, Chambers D, Riley W, Glass RI, Engelgau MM, Mensah GA. Glob Heart. 2016 Mar;11(1):153-8. doi: 10.1016/j.gheart.2016.01.008.
- Mapping training needs for dissemination and implementation research: lessons from a synthesis of existing D&I research training programs. Chambers, DA, Proctor, EK, Brownson, RC, & Straus, SE. Transl Behav Med. 2016 Mar 30. doi: 10.1007/s13142-016-0399-3.
- Measurement resources for dissemination and implementation research in health. Implementation Science. Rabin, B, Lewis, CC, Norton, WE, Neta, G, Chambers, D, Tobin, JN, Brownson, R, & Glasgow, R (in press).
- Optimizing an Era of Global Mental Health Implementation Science.
- Betancourt TS, Chambers DA. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016 Feb 1;73(2):99-100. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2015.2705.
- Use of PRECIS ratings in the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Health Care Systems Research Collaboratory. Johnson KE, Neta G, Dember LM, Coronado GD, Suls J, Chambers DA, Rundell S, Smith DH, Liu B, Taplin S, Stoney CM, Farrell MM, Glasgow RE. Trials. 2016 Jan 16;17(1):32. doi: 10.1186/s13063-016-1158-y
- Implementation science in cancer prevention and control: a decade of grant funding by the National Cancer Institute and future directions. Neta G, Sanchez MA, Chambers DA, Phillips SM, Leyva B, Cynkin L, Farrell MM, Heurtin-Roberts S, Vinson C. Implement Sci. 2015 Jan 8;10(1):4. doi: 10.1186/s13012-014-0200-2.
- Big data and large sample size: a cautionary note on the potential for bias. Kaplan RM, Chambers DA, Glasgow RE. Clin Transl Sci. 2014 Aug;7(4):342-6. doi: 10.1111/cts.12178. Epub 2014 Jul 15.
- News from the NIH: highlights in implementation science from the National Cancer Institute and the National Institute of Mental Health. Glasgow RE, Chambers DA, Cynkin L.Transl Behav Med. 2013 Dec;3(4):335-7. doi: 10.1007/s13142-013-0218-z. No abstract available.
- The dynamic sustainability framework: addressing the paradox of sustainment amid ongoing change. Chambers DA, Glasgow RE, Stange KC. Implement Sci. 2013 Oct 2;8:117. doi: 10.1186/1748-5908-8-117.
- Bridging research and practice: models for dissemination and implementation research. Tabak RG, Khoong EC, Chambers DA, Brownson RC. Am J Prev Med. 2012 Sep;43(3):337-50. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2012.05.024. Review.