Training & Education
In collaboration with other academic institutions, professional organizations, and funding agencies, the Implementation Science team coordinates and supports several training and educational activities, including a monthly webinar series, training programs, and an annual conference. Collectively, these activities aim to increase the field’s capacity to conduct rigorous implementation research.
Advanced Topics in Implementation Science Webinar Series
The Advanced Topics in Implementation Science Webinar Series is a free, monthly webinar series focused on advanced topics in dissemination and implementation (D&I) research. Each webinar includes approximately 40 minutes of presentations by experts in the field and approximately 20 minutes of discussion and Q&A.View Webinars
Training Institute for Dissemination and Implementation Research in Cancer (TIDIRC)
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences (DCCPS) is hosting the Training Institute for Dissemination and Implementation Research in Cancer (TIDIRC) to provide participants with a thorough grounding in conducting D&I research with a specific focus on cancer, across the cancer control continuum. In 2018, the institute will utilize a combination of a 4-month online course (six modules with related assignments) in Bethesda, MD. Faculty and guest lecturers will consist of leading experts in theory, implementation, and evaluation approaches to D&I; creating partnerships and multilevel, transdisciplinary research teams; research design, methods, and analyses appropriate for D&I; and conducting research at different and multiple levels of intervention (e.g., clinical, community, policy). Learn more.
Training Institute for Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health (TIDIRH)
The Training Institute for Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health (TIDIRH) was developed by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to help build capacity in dissemination and implementation research. TIDIRH was held annually from 2011 through 2015 and hosted at various sites, as listed below. Additional information about each TIDIRH training can be found at each conference website, including the agenda and copies of presentations from TIDIRH experts. As of 2016, TIDIRH meets in conjunction with the Annual Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation in the Washington D.C. area. It is currently being offered as a dual online and in-person training.
- 2017: Hosted by National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland
- 2016: Co-hosted by the National Cancer Institute and the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, Washington DC
- 2015: Hosted by Kaiser Permanente Southern California in Pasadena, California
- 2014: Hosted by Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- 2012: Hosted by University of California, San Francisco in San Jose, California
- 2011: Hosted by University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- The U.S. training institute for dissemination and implementation research in health (2013). Meissner, HI, Glasgow, RE, Vinson, CA, Chambers, D, Brownson, RC, Green LW, Ammerman, AS, Weiner, BJ, & Mittman, B. Implementation Science
Annual Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation
The Annual Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation is a forum for discussing the science of D&I and aims to grow the research base by bridging the gap between evidence, practice, and policy in health and medicine. Researchers, evaluators, and implementers who are interested in identifying opportunities, challenges, and strategies for disseminating the findings and implementing research to key stakeholders are encouraged to attend. Discuss, debate, and explore in-depth approaches to advance D&I science.
Past Conference Themes
- 2017: A Decade of Progress and the Path Forward
- 2016: Mapping the Complexity and Dynamism of the Field
- 2015: Optimizing Personal and Population Health
- 2014: Transforming Health Systems to Optimize Individual and Population Health
- 2013: Expert meetings held in lieu of conference: (1) Training, (2) Measurement and Reporting, and (3) Study Designs
- 2012: Research at the Crossroads
- 2011: Policy and Practice
- 2010: Methods and Measurement
- 2009: Building Research Capacity to Bridge the Gap from Science to Service
- 2007: Building the Science of Dissemination and Implementation in the Service of Public Health