Cancer Center Cessation Initiative
In 2017, NCI launched the Cancer Center Cessation Initiative, as part of the NCI Cancer Moonshot℠ program. The long-term goal of this Initiative is to help cancer centers build and implement sustainable tobacco cessation treatment programs to routinely address tobacco cessation with cancer patients.
How will the funded sites enhance the delivery of tobacco cessation treatment at their cancer center?
- Refining electronic medical records and clinical workflows to ensure the systematic identification and documentation of smokers and the routine delivery of evidence-based tobacco cessation treatment services
- Overcoming patient, clinician, clinic, and health system barriers to providing tobacco cessation treatment services
- Achieving institutional buy-in that treating tobacco use is a component of organizational “Standard of Care”
- Creating mechanisms to sustain tobacco cessation treatment services so that they continue beyond the funding period of the initiative
What does the Coordinating Center do?
The Coordinating Center is based at the University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center. The Coordinating Center supports the funded sites by:
- Ensuring that science-based smoking cessation treatment services are integrated into the clinical care of funded cancer centers
- Providing technical assistance in the areas of electronic health record (EHR) integration, clinical workflow change management, and addressing health disparities as they relate to the delivery of smoking cessation treatment services
- Serving as the hub of knowledge integration, including the sharing of best practices across funded Centers and for the cancer clinical community more broadly.
The Coordinating Center at the University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center (UWCCC) is led by Betsy Rolland, Michael Fiore, Heather D’Angelo, Timothy Baker, Danielle Pauk, and Rob Adsit.
Research Centers/Funded Sites
To explore funded sites, click on the icon in the top left corner of the map, click on any pin on the map, or scroll down to view a funded initiatives table.
|Cancer Center||Project Director(s)||Address||Tobacco Cessation|
|FY 2017||FY 2018|
|Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania||Robert Schnoll, Ph.D.,
Frank Leone, M.D., M.S.
|3400 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19104|
|Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University||Ayman Soubani, M.D.,
Michele Cote, Ph.D., M.P.H.
|4100 John R, Detroit, MI 48201|
|Case Comprehensive Cancer Center, Case Western Reserve University||Monica Webb Hooper, Ph.D.||2103 Cornell Road, Cleveland, OH 44106|
|Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Baylor University||Maria Mejia de Grubb, M.D.||One Baylor Place, Houston, TX 77030|
|Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center||Nancy Rigotti, M.D.||450 Brookline Ave., Boston, MA 02215|
|Dartmouth-Hitchcock Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Dartmouth College||Konstantin Dragnev, M.D.||One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756|
|Duke Cancer Institute, Duke University||James Davis, M.D.||2424 Erwin Road, Durham, NC 27710|
|Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University||Kathryn Taylor, Ph.D.,
Chul Kim, M.D.
|3970 Reservoir Road NW Washington, D.C. 20007|
|Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center||Simon Craddock Lee, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Andrew Day, M.D., M.P.H.
|2201 Inwood Road, Dallas, TX 75390|
|Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University||Alfred Neugut, M.D., Ph.D.,
David Albert, D.D.S., M.P.H.
|1130 St Nicholas Ave., New York, NY 10032|
|Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Iowa||David Katz, M.D., M.Sc.,
Mark Vander Weg, Ph.D.
|200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242|
|Hollings Cancer Center, Medical University of South Carolina||Graham Warren, M.D., Ph.D.||86 Jonathan Lucas St., Charleston, SC 29425|
|Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah||David Wetter, Ph.D., M.S.,
Cho Lam, Ph.D.
|2000 Circle of Hope, Salt Lake City, UT 84112|
|Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center||Karen Hudmon, Dr.P.H.||535 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202|
|Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky||Jessica Burris, Ph.D.||800 Rose St., Lexington, KY 40536|
|Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota||Anne Joseph, M.D., M.P.H.,
Janet Thomas, Ph.D., L.P.
|420 Delaware St. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455|
|Mayo Clinic Cancer Center||David Warner, M.D.||200 First St. SW, Rochester, MN 55905|
|Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center||Jamie Ostroff, Ph.D.||1275 York Ave., New York, NY 10065|
|Moffitt Cancer Center||Vani Nath Simmons, Ph.D.||12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612|
|OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, Oregon Health and Science University||Jackilen Shannon, Ph.D., M.P.H.,
Steffani Bailey, Ph.D.
|3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239|
|Perlmutter Cancer Center, NYU Langone Health||Donna Shelley, M.D., M.P.H.,
Scott Sherman, M.D., M.P.H.
|550 First Ave., New York, NY 10016|
|Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern University||Brian Hitsman, Ph.D.,
Timothy Pearman, Ph.D.
|303 E. Superior St., Chicago, IL 60611|
|Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center||Christine Sheffer, Ph.D.,
Andrew Hyland, Ph.D.
|Elm & Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263|
|Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University||Li-Shiun Chen, M.D., Sc.D., M.P.H.||660 S. Euclid Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63110|
|Stanford Cancer Institute, Stanford University||Judith Prochaska, Ph.D., M.P.H.,
Matthew Kendra, Ph.D.
|265 Campus Drive, Stanford, CA 94305|
|The Tisch Cancer Institute, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai||Karen Wilson, M.D., M.P.H./M.S.P.H.||One Gustave L. Levy Place, New York, NY 10029|
|UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California at Davis||Elisa Tong, M.D., M.A.||4501 X St., Sacramento, CA 95817|
|UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California at San Francisco||Joseph Guydish, Ph.D., M.P.H.,
Janice Tsoh, Ph.D.
|1450 3rd St., San Francisco, CA 94115|
|UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||Adam Goldstein, M.D., M.P.H.,
Laurel Sisler, LCSW, LCAS, CTTS
|450 West Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27599|
|The University of Arizona Cancer Center||Tracy Crane, Ph.D.,
Linda Garland, M.D.
|1515 N. Campbell Ave., Tucson, AZ 85724|
|University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center||Andrea King, Ph.D.,
Yasmin Asvat, Ph.D.
|5841 S. Maryland Ave., Chicago, IL 60637|
|University of Colorado Cancer Center||Arnold Levinson, Ph.D., M.J.||13001 E. 17th Place, Aurora, CO 80045|
|The University of Kansas Cancer Center||Kimber Richter, Ph.D., M.P.H.||3901 Rainbow Blvd., Kansas City, KS 66160|
|University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center||Ken Resnicow, Ph.D.||1500 E. Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109|
|UVA Cancer Center, University of Virginia||Roger Anderson, Ph.D.,
Robert Klesges, Ph.D.
|6171 West Complex, Charlottesville, VA 22908|
|UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of New Mexico||Emrullah Yilmaz, M.D., Ph.D.,
Linda Cook, Ph.D.
|1201 Camino de Salud NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131|
|UPMC Hillman Cancer Center||Esa Davis, M.D.,
Dana Bovbjerg, Ph.D.
|5150 Centre Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15232|
|Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University||Hilary Tindle, M.D., M.P.H.||691 Preston Research Building, Nashville, TN 37232|
|VCU Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University||Darlene Brunzell, Ph.D.,
Rashelle Hayes, Ph.D.
|401 College St., Richmond, VA 23298|
|Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center Comprehensive Cancer Center||Eric Donny, Ph.D.,
Erin Sutfin, Ph.D.
|1 Medical Center Blvd., Winston-Salem, NC 27157|
|Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University||Kristin Higgins, M.D.||1365C Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322|
|Yale Cancer Center, Yale University||Lisa Fucito, Ph.D.,
Steven Bernstein, M.D.
|333 Cedar St., New Haven, CT 06520|
News and Publications
- Croyle RT, Morgan GD, Fiore MC. Addressing a Core Gap in Cancer Care – The NCI Moonshot Program to Help Oncology Patients Stop Smoking. N Engl J Med. January 2019.
- D’Angelo H, Ramsey AT, Rolland B, Chen L, Bernstein SL, Fucito LM, Hooper MW, Adsit R, Pauk D, Rosenblum MS, Cinciripini PM, Joseph A, Ostroff JS, Warren GW, Fiore MC, Baker TB. Pragmatic Application of the RE-AIM Framework to Evaluate the Implementation of Tobacco Cessation Programs Within NCI-Designated Cancer Centers. Front Public Health. June 2020.
- An Opportunity to Quit . Cancer Today Magazine, Spring 2018
- Expanding Smoking Cessation Services at NCI-designated Cancer Centers: An Interview with Dr. Glen Morgan . NCI Cancer Currents Blog, November 2017