In 2017, NCI launched the Cancer Center Cessation Initiative, as part of the NCI Cancer Moonshot℠ program. The long-term goal of this Initiative is to help cancer centers build and implement sustainable tobacco cessation treatment programs to routinely address tobacco cessation with cancer patients.
C3I Selected ResourcesDownload Fact Sheet
How will the funded sites enhance the delivery of tobacco cessation treatment at their cancer center?
- Refining electronic medical records and clinical workflows to ensure the systematic identification and documentation of smokers and the routine delivery of evidence-based tobacco cessation treatment services
- Overcoming patient, clinician, clinic, and health system barriers to providing tobacco cessation treatment services
- Achieving institutional buy-in that treating tobacco use is a component of organizational “Standard of Care”
- Creating mechanisms to sustain tobacco cessation treatment services so that they continue beyond the funding period of the initiative
What does the Coordinating Center do?
The Coordinating Center is based at the University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center. The Coordinating Center supports the funded sites by:
- Ensuring that science-based smoking cessation treatment services are integrated into the clinical care of funded cancer centers
- Providing technical assistance in the areas of electronic health record (EHR) integration, clinical workflow change management, and addressing health disparities as they relate to the delivery of smoking cessation treatment services
- Serving as the hub of knowledge integration, including the sharing of best practices across funded Centers and for the cancer clinical community more broadly.
The Coordinating Center at the University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center (UWCCC) is led by Betsy Rolland, Michael Fiore, Sarah Hohl, Mara Minion, Timothy Baker, Danielle Pauk, and Rob Adsit.
Research Centers/Funded Sites
To explore funded sites, click on the icon in the top left corner of the map, click on any pin on the map, or scroll down to view a funded initiatives table.
|Cancer Center||Project Director(s)||Address||Tobacco Cessation|
|Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania||Robert Schnoll, Ph.D.,
Frank Leone, M.D., M.S
|3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104|
|Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University||Ayman Soubani, M.D.,
Michele Cote, Ph.D., M.P.H.
|4100 John R Street, Detroit, MI 48201|
|Case Comprehensive Cancer Center, Case Western Reserve University||Monica Webb Hooper, Ph.D.||2103 Cornell Road, Cleveland, OH 44106|
|City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Beckman Research Institute||Kimlin Ashing, Ph.D.||1500 East Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010|
|Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Baylor University||Maria Mejia de Grubb, M.D.||One Baylor Place, Houston, TX 77030|
|Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center||Nancy Rigotti, M.D.||450 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215|
|Dartmouth-Hitchcock Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Dartmouth College||Steven Leach, M.D. (FY20),
Konstantin Dragnev, M.D. (FY18)
|One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756|
|Duke Cancer Institute, Duke University||James Davis, M.D.||2424 Erwin Road, Durham, NC 27710|
|Fox Chase Cancer Center||
Hossein Borghaei, D.O., M.S.
|333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111|
|Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center / University of Washington Cancer Consortium||Matthew Triplette, M.D., M.P.H.,
Jonathan Bricker, Ph.D.
|1100 Fairview Avenue N., Seattle, WA 98109|
|Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University||Kathryn Taylor, Ph.D.,
Chul Kim, M.D.
|3970 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, D.C. 20007|
|Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center||Simon Craddock Lee, Ph.D., M.P.H.,
Andrew Day, M.D., M.P.H.
|2201 Inwood Road, Dallas, TX 75390|
|Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University||Alfred Neugut, M.D., Ph.D.,
David Albert, D.D.S., M.P.H.
|1130 St Nicholas Avenue, New York, NY 10032|
|Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Iowa||David Katz, M.D., M.Sc.,
Mark Vander Weg, Ph.D.
|200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242|
|Hollings Cancer Center, Medical University of South Carolina||Graham Warren, M.D., Ph.D.||86 Jonathan Lucas Street, Charleston, SC 29425|
|Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah||David Wetter, Ph.D., M.S.,
Cho Lam, Ph.D.
|2000 Circle of Hope, Salt Lake City, UT 84112|
|Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center||Karen Hudmon, Dr.P.H.||535 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202|
|University of Kentucky, Markey Cancer Center||Jessica Burris, Ph.D.||800 Rose Street, Lexington, KY 40536|
|Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota||Anne Joseph, M.D., M.P.H., Janet Thomas, Ph.D., L.P.||420 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455|
|Mayo Clinic Cancer Center||David Warner, M.D.||200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905|
|University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center||Janice Blalock, Ph.D.||1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Unit 91, Houston, TX 77030|
|Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center||Jamie Ostroff, Ph.D.||1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065|
|Moffitt Cancer Center||Vani Nath Simmons, Ph.D.||12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612|
|Moores Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego||David Strong, Ph.D.||3855 Health Sciences Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093|
|Oregon Health & Science University Knight Cancer Institute, Oregon Health and Science University||Jackilen Shannon, Ph.D., M.P.H.,
Steffani Bailey, Ph.D.
|3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239|
|University of Alabama, Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center||Isabel Scarinci, Ph.D., M.P.H.||1824 6th Avenue S., Birmingham, AL 35294|
|Perlmutter Cancer Center, New York University Langone Health||Donna Shelley, M.D., M.P.H.,
Scott Sherman, M.D., M.P.H.
|550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016|
|Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern University||Brian Hitsman, Ph.D.,
Timothy Pearman, Ph.D.
|303 E. Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60611|
|Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center||Christine Sheffer, Ph.D.,
Andrew Hyland, Ph.D.
|Elm & Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263|
|Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Rutgers University||Michael Steinberg, M.D., M.P.H.,
Mary Hrywna, Ph.D., M.P.H.
|195 Little Albany Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901|
|Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University||Kuang-Yi Wen, Ph.D.||233 S. 10th Street, Room 1050, Philadelphia, PA 19107|
|Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University||Li-Shiun Chen, M.D., Sc.D., M.P.H.||660 S. Euclid Avenue, Street Louis, MO 63110|
|Stanford Cancer Institute, Stanford University||Judith Prochaska, Ph.D., M.P.H.,
Matthew Kendra, Ph.D.
|265 Campus Drive, Stanford, CA 94305|
|The Tisch Cancer Institute, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai||Karen Wilson, M.D., M.P.H./M.S.P.H.||One Gustave L. Levy Place, New York, NY 10029|
|The University of Arizona Cancer Center||Tracy Crane, Ph.D. (FY18, FY20), Judith Gordon, Ph.D. (FY20), Linda Garland, M.D. (FY18, FY20)||1515 N. Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724|
|The University of Kansas Cancer Center||Kimber Richter, Ph.D., M.P.H.||3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160|
|University of California-Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California at Davis||Elisa Tong, M.D., M.A.||4501 X Street, Sacramento, CA 95817|
|University of California San Francisco, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center||Joseph Guydish, Ph.D., M.P.H.,
Janice Tsoh, Ph.D.
|1450 3rd Street, San Francisco, CA 94115|
|University of North Carolina, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center||Adam Goldstein, M.D., M.P.H. (FY17, FY20),
Kimberley Shoenbill, M.D., Ph.D. (FY20),
Laurel Sisler, LCSW, LCAS, CTTS (FY17)
|450 West Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27599|
|University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center||Andrea King, Ph.D.,
Yasmin Asvat, Ph.D.
|5841 S. Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637|
|University of Colorado Cancer Center||Arnold Levinson, Ph.D., M.J.||13001 E. 17th Place, Aurora, CO 80045|
|University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Maryland||Niharika Khanna, M.B.B.S., M.D., D.G.O.||22 S Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201|
|University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center||Lawrence An, M.D. (FY20),
Ken Resnicow, Ph.D. (FY18)
|1500 E. Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109|
|University of New Mexico, Comprehensive Cancer Center||Emrullah Yilmaz, M.D., Ph.D., Linda Cook, Ph.D.||1201 Camino de Salud NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131|
|University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Hillman Cancer Center||Esa Davis, M.D.,
Dana Bovbjerg, Ph.D.
|5150 Centre Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15232|
|University of Southern California, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center||Matthew Kirkpatrick, Ph.D.||1441 Eastlake Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089|
|University of Virginia Cancer Center||Roger Anderson, Ph.D.,
Robert Klesges, Ph.D.
|6171 West Complex, Charlottesville, VA 22908|
|Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University||Hilary Tindle, M.D., M.P.H.||691 Preston Research Building, Nashville, TN 37232|
|Virginia Commonwealth University, Massey Cancer Center||Darlene Brunzell, Ph.D.,
Rashelle Hayes, Ph.D.
|401 College Street, Richmond, VA 23298|
|Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center Comprehensive Cancer Center||Eric Donny, Ph.D.,
Erin Sutfin, Ph.D.
|1 Medical Center Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC 27157|
|Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University||Kristin Higgins, M.D.||1365C Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322|
|Yale Cancer Center, Yale University||Lisa Fucito, Ph.D., Steven Bernstein, M.D.||333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520|
News and Publications
- D'Angelo H, Hohl SD, Rolland B, Adsit RT, Pauk D, Fiore MC, Baker TB. Reach and effectiveness of the NCI Cancer Moonshot-funded Cancer Center Cessation Initiative. Transl Behav Med. 2022.
- The Cancer Center Cessation Initiative Working Groups: Improving Oncology Care and Outcomes by Including Tobacco Treatment. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. November 2021.
- D'Angelo H, Land SR, Grana Mayne R. Assessing Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems Use at NCI-Designated Cancer Centers in the Cancer Moonshot-funded Cancer Center Cessation Initiative. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). June 2021.
- D’Angelo H, Rolland B, Adsit R, Baker TB, Rosenblum M, Pauk D, Morgan GD, Fiore MC. Tobacco Treatment Program Implementation at NCI Cancer Centers: Progress of the NCI Cancer Moonshot-funded Cancer Center Cessation Initiative. Cancer Prevention Research. November 2019.
- Fiore MC, D'Angelo H, Baker TB. Effective Cessation Treatment for Patients with Cancer Who Smoke—The Fourth Pillar of Cancer. JAMA Network Open Oncology. 2019.
- Croyle RT, Morgan GD, Fiore MC. Addressing a Core Gap in Cancer Care – The NCI Moonshot Program to Help Oncology Patients Stop Smoking. N Engl J Med. January 2019.
- D’Angelo H, Ramsey AT, Rolland B, Chen L, Bernstein SL, Fucito LM, Hooper MW, Adsit R, Pauk D, Rosenblum MS, Cinciripini PM, Joseph A, Ostroff JS, Warren GW, Fiore MC, Baker TB. Pragmatic Application of the RE-AIM Framework to Evaluate the Implementation of Tobacco Cessation Programs Within NCI-Designated Cancer Centers. Front Public Health. June 2020.
- An Opportunity to Quit. Cancer Today Magazine, Spring 2018
- Expanding Smoking Cessation Services at NCI-designated Cancer Centers: An Interview with Dr. Glen Morgan. NCI Cancer Currents Blog, November 2017