What Is the TUS-CPS?
The Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey (TUS-CPS) is an NCI-sponsored survey of tobacco use that has been administered as part of the US Census Bureau's Current Population Survey approximately every 3-4 years since 1992-93. Most recent publicly released data are from the 2014-2015 TUS-CPS wave, co-sponsored with the Food and Drug Administration, Center for Tobacco Products (FDA-CTP). The 2014-2015 series includes major new content.
Other previously released data were those waves fielded in 1992-1993, 1995-1996, 1998-1999, 2000, 2001-2002, 2003, and 2006-2007, and 2010-2011. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was a co-sponsor with NCI from 2001-02 through 2006-07. Finally, NCI sponsored a special longitudinal TUS-CPS cohort, administered in both May 2010 and May 2011, in addition to the 2010-2011 cycle.
- civilian, non-institutionalized population;
- interviews all eligible household members ages 18 years and older (data for the 1992 - 2006 TUS-CPS are for persons 15 years and older);
- state sample sizes range from 1,669 for New Mexico to 18,885 for California (self-response only range is 1,232 for NM to 13,467 for CA);
- about 64% of respondents complete the TUS-CPS by telephone and 36% complete it in person; and
- mostly self-reports (about 20% are by proxy for a few measures of use).
These data can be used by researchers to:
- monitor tobacco control progress;
- conduct tobacco-related research, including tobacco health disparities; and
- evaluate tobacco control programs.
Uses and results from TUS-CPS data can be found on this Website. In addition, TUS-CPS data has been included in several of NCI's Tobacco Control Monographs, NCI's Trends in Cancer Progress Reports, several of the Surgeon General's Reports on tobacco control topics, Healthy People (HP) 2010 and 2020 reports, and in the 2012 Congressional Budget Office report "Raising the Excise Tax on Cigarettes: Effects on Health and the Federal Budget". See Reports and Publications Using the TUS-CPS for a list of about 200 publications describing past TUS-CPS findings or utilizing some of the TUS-CPS data in conjunction with other health survey, registry, or other outcome data.
The TUS-CPS has regularly been translated into Spanish and the 2003 version was also translated into Chinese, Khmer, Korean, and Vietnamese. Information about the translated questionnaires, including reports on the review and pretesting of the translations, and copies of the questionnaires in all available languages, is available.
Download the TUS-CPS Fact Sheet (PDF, 152 KB).
Items of Interest
- 2014-2015 TUS-CPS Highlights Document (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Publicly released data files: 2014-2015
- Publicly released data file: May 2010-May 2011 Special Longitudinal Cohort
- Sept. 17 2013 TUS-CPS Webinar Presentations & Recordings
- SAS Programs for Creating SAS Datasets
- TUS-CPS data on State Cancer Profiles Website
- Funding Opportunities in Tobacco Control Research
- Health Disparities Calculator now available!
- More About Tobacco Control Research at NCI